Tuesday, July 7, 2009

engineer vs bugzilla

bugzilla logo by Dave Shea
In my view, a good bug report contains an ordered list of steps to take to reproduce the bug. I realize this is not always possible (e.g. the bug is intermittent, and QA does not have the time or resources to nail it down).

In reality, I rarely see a sequence of steps in a bug report where I work. I haven't quite figured out why. I think that QA is often just poking around the application, trying things out. They do a sequence of steps, and suddenly something goes wrong. However, they haven't recorded the series of steps as they went along, so the reports go something like this:
Widget on the fribble panel sometimes vanishes. See attached screenshot. May have clicked the foo button three or four times in rapid succession before that happened, not sure, was doing some other tests at the time.
This kind of bug report makes life difficult for me. It means I have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out just how to reproduce the bug, time that could be better spent doing actual development work.

I suppose I could just mark such bugs as invalid, or reassign them back to QA, with a request for reproducible steps. I haven't done this, yet, at least not without a good faith effort to try to reproduce the bug. I get the feeling that QA doesn't take it well when you send bugs back to them in this way.

In my view, QA and development should all be one big team, trying to make the software work. In reality, it sometimes feels like the two departments are at war. Is that common in the industry? Is there a way to stop it?

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, if QA is giving you reports like that, that's a problem. One of QA's jobs is to come up with a series of steps to reproduce the issue, and your job should just be to verify that series of steps and then fix it. If they're just saying, "Oh, I dunnow, something bad happens, you go figure it out," they're dumping part of their job on you.

    -Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max, I could not agree more! But there doesn't seem to be an organizational will to enforce better bug reporting standards.

    fse

    ReplyDelete