Saturday, June 26, 2010

is there a ball and chain around my ankle? i didn't think so.

I've got a coworker who feels it's his responsibility to notify me when I haven't been at my desk; as if he wants me to know that he "caught" me being absent.

Note to coworker: I don't report to you, and it's not your business if I'm not there when you come over. And by the way: I also notice it when I come over to your desk and you're not there. But I don't inform you of it. I also notice it when I come over to your desk and you're playing video games, surfing the web, or chatting with your online friends. You may get a vibe of disapproval from me, but you don't report to me either, so I keep my mouth shut about it.

In fact, it's not a rare occurrence for employees to be absent at odd hours during the day. The company does not keep tabs on the comings and goings of the worker bees, at least not so far as I can tell. Perhaps they make the reasonable assumption that if you need to be out for a few hours during the day, you'll make up for the time. This is something that I like about the company.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled on to your blog last night looking for software engineers...maybe you *would* like to look at new opportunities! ;-) We're hiring here at Google...philchurilla@google.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,

    Interesting comment. I am surprised that you found me at all interesting for Google, given the nature of my posts. Suffice it to say that I actually did once apply to Google, and I was rejected without going through the interview process.

    I don't know whether I'd be a good fit for Google. I would have liked to try it, but I always figured I'd never be able to get a job there. I don't have a CS degree, and while I have picked up a smattering of CS knowledge along the way, I'm sure I wouldn't get far in the grueling CS-oriented interviews that are legendary for large software companies.

    I'm a pretty good programmer, in my own humble opinion. But probably not of the caliber desired by Google. Nice to hear from you though.

    fse

    ReplyDelete