Sunday, June 21, 2009

any women out there?


I'm a female software engineer.

I follow a few blogs that are written by male software developers. Today, I had a vague interest in reading something written by a woman who does software development. I follow Female Science Professor's blog, and I was looking for something similar, something written by a software developer. So I went to google and typed in the four search terms "female", "software", "developer", "blog", like this: female software developer blog.

A bunch of results came back, but the first page did not contain a single blog written by a female software developer. At the bottom of the page I saw this:

Tip: These results do not include the word "female". Show results that include "female".

Which was kind of a weirdly ironic experience. So I plussed the term female, and still couldn't find what I was looking for. Mostly I found business news, articles pertaining to concerns about the lack of women in programming, and a bunch of job postings.

Well, I couldn't really complain. I am a female software engineer, and I don't blog about my work. I know why, too. I don't want to be harassed. And I don't want my employers or coworkers to know every detail about what I think.

But I'll give this a try, and attempt to be as anonymous as possible. Maybe in doing so, I'll find some gals out there who are blogging up a storm, so many that I can just nuke this blog and go back to lurking. Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment