Friday, December 11, 2009

debugging tools

I recently talked to a developer who admitted that he preferred using print statements to debug than any of the newer debugging tools, like what's available in Eclipse. This is the kind of statement that would probably knock my socks off if it weren't for the fact that almost nothing surprises me anymore!

I disagreed, but didn't argue it with him. Print statements are the worst, last option, in my world. There are just a few times when they are appropriate - for example, if you want to grep through values in a large loop. And of course in some cases print statements are the only option (on a production machine, for example).

But really, who doesn't just love a debugger? It's useful for 99% of the problems I have to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment