Wednesday, December 28, 2011

how to save money: never buy a box


I've never been too concerned about minor moving expenses. Last time I moved, I probably spent about $50 on cardboard boxes to move my stuff in.

This time, I decided to keep my $50. You can get boxes free from most liquor stores. I'd never done this before, but I have a friend who has done it. Still, it was really hard to resist the urge to just go out and buy boxes. I was especially resistant to just walking in and asking (fear of rejection). If you don't have this problem, good on you. If you're like me, you can solve the problem by doing what I did: I just drove around to the back of the store and did a little dumpster diving. Yes, it felt a little disgusting. The cardboard boxes had all been flattened and were in a dumpster specifically labeled for recycling, but I still wondered about cleanliness... Nevertheless, the boxes are only intended to move my stuff from point A to B, and they can be discarded without misgivings once I'm through with them.

Cost saving measures like this give me a bit of pleasure. I know some people sneer at this; but then I guess they don't feel like corporate slaves in their jobs. I'm not as extreme as the retire early extreme guy. Some of the things he does make me cringe. But I'm very willing to make some sacrifices in pursuit of my own freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment