Monday, December 12, 2011

women want to be founders

Thank you, Laura Klein! People, go read her well-spoken rant about the fact that some women want to be in start-ups and run their own businesses. I mean, if you didn't already know that.

When I was much younger than I am now, I would have been a great start-up founder or employee. I had a very driven personality, and was quite the workaholic. I put all my efforts into academic studies, but the same kind of drive can be successfully pointed in the start-up direction.

Way back when, I didn't even know what a start-up was. I thought you had a choice between working in academia or working at a boring faceless corporation.

When I left academia, I was drawn to start-ups, and even talked about doing one with some friends. It never got very far. I should point out that my erstwhile co-founders were always white males, so it wasn't me alone failing to start. I didn't have any kids or obligations and was willing to throw myself into the business. In contrast, my co-founders would talk about family obligations. Hm, white males putting their families above founding a start-up? Sound familiar?

No comments:

Post a Comment